Student Spotlight – Lucia Ribisi

Meet UCLA undergraduate researcher Lucia Ribisi!

Lucia Ribisi majors in Gender Studies and minors in Literature and the Environment and is in our Undergraduate Research Fellows Program (URFP)! The title of their project is “‘After Z’ Honors Thesis Documentary.” Their focus is to leverage artistic skill, emotional sensitivity, environmental ethics, and reproductive thought to spark conversation amongst young people about the role of fantasy as we co-create the future. Their best piece of advice is to find a mentor who really understands you.

How did you first get interested in your research project?

Searching for a research topic to commit to for my senior thesis, I met Jack Weerts, an undergraduate film minor – who was working on a documentary around asking young people the question “Is it OK to have a child?” considering climate change. As a former birth and postpartum doula, forever wannabe mom, and environmentalist; this topic well-suited my interests.

What has been the most exciting aspect of your research so far?

Learning how to put my research to video, transforming essay into visual media, has been very rewarding. The project gives me an excuse to talk about ethics amongst my community, and beyond, for the first time.

What has surprised you about your research or the research process?

I have been surprised at how my process and approach has changed since September when I started working on the project. A long term project is a good way to measure one’s growth.

What is one piece of advice you have for other UCLA students thinking about doing research?

Don’t let disciplinary limits bother you. In a rich ecology, even the weeds get watered. Find a mentor who really understands you. This has been key. Honestly, I wouldn’t be able to do this project without the inspiration and support of my advisor, Dr. Sharon Traweek.

What effect do you hope your research has in your field, at UCLA, in your community, or in the world?

I hope that my film and thesis paper leverage artistic skill, emotional sensitivity, environmental ethics, and reproductive thought to spark conversation amongst young people about the role of fantasy as we co-create the future.