The Undergraduate Research Scholars Program (URSP)
The Undergraduate Research Scholars Program (URSP) is directed through the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education and administered by the Undergraduate Research Center–Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences.
The URSP scholarship is awarded to juniors and seniors who have a strong commitment to research and who are completing a comprehensive independent research project or a departmental honors thesis. A comprehensive independent research project is an upper-division research project associated with enrollment in a departmental 199, 198, or 196 research course for 3 quarters. This project must be completed under the mentorship of a UCLA faculty member.
- Receive a $3,000 scholarship (juniors) or $5,000 scholarship (seniors) to conduct research
- Conduct research for 3 quarters (fall, winter, and spring) and enroll in a 199, 198, or 196 research course for at least 2 of the 3 quarters
- Complete and submit a departmental honors thesis or comprehensive independent research project
- Present their research at Undergraduate Research Week
- Submit a summary of their research and a photo for an online profile
- Junior level standing or higher (at least 90 units but no more than 175 units by the upcoming fall quarter)
- 3.25 GPA or higher
- Commitment to completing a departmental honors thesis or comprehensive research project for 3 quarters (fall, winter, and spring)
- While financial need is not required, some awards are for students with established financial need
- International students and AB540 students are eligible
- Students who received the URSP scholarship as juniors are eligible to apply again for the scholarship as seniors
How to Apply
Application Deadline: June 15, 2017 at 11:59pm
Submit an Undergraduate Research Scholars Program application (available in early May). To access and submit the application, click here (or go to MyUCLA and choose “Campus Life” then “Survey”).
The application includes 5 components:
- Research statement
- Personal statement
- Statement of previous undergraduate research experience (if applicable)
- Academic plan (study list)
- Letter of recommendation from your faculty mentor. Be sure to ask you faculty mentor early and provide him or her with the URSP Letter of Recommendation Form.
Please view the Application Instructions and contact the Undergraduate Research Center with any questions. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. All materials must be submitted by the June 15 deadline.
Undergraduate Research Center –
Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences
A334 Murphy Hall
Monday through Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm